Monday, January 2, 2012

Reflections + Predictions

I saw the Sew Mama Sew "Sewing Industry Reflections + Predictions ~ What do YOU think?" post and will try to answer the posted questions as I see them:

Looking back at the 2011 sewing scene, what trends stand out in your mind?
More solids and more quilt alongs seem to be happening in the blogland sewing scene. There are also more and more stitched/ embroidered blocks incorpoarted into quilt (redwork like). Mini- quilts were another trend that could be found all over blogland.
The Red and White quilt show truely was a highlight of 2011! So many beautiful quilts - and luckily for us who couldn't go: we could see tons of pictures on the web!
And not to forget the Modern quilt guild movement! I hope there will be one in my neighborhood, soon!

What were some of your favorite things related to sewing this past year?
Finishing UFO's, giving quilts to friends or donating and the absolute amazing fabric collections out there! I also seem to be drawn to quilt kits - especially if I am short on time. It is easier to get them together as a gift without contemplating and agonizing over fabric choice.


What did you make that you’re most proud of? 
I am real proud of My Rose Garden quilt - my 1st real "self designed" wall quilt, embellished and all (QG challenge).




And I also really like the Lawn Chair top - on the 'waiting to be quilted' list...









What sewn projects have you seen this year that you absolutely love?
I really love the modern take on old blocks - a la Farmer's Wife quilt along. Have started myself and continue to admire blocks with modern fabric.
The Red and white show in NYC with pictures everywhere made me realize how beautiful 2 colr quilts are!

Do you have a favorite sewing book or pattern from the past year to recommend?
I absolutely fell in love with the Swoon pattern by Camille. I hope to finish my kit this year! Additionally I just love the book "Quilts in Sweden" by Kaffe Fassett. Hopefully I can make at least one of his fabulous quilts in 2012.

Are there any trends you’re over and done with?
I seem to be leaning more to scrap quilts for myself -  it doesn't always have to be matchy-matchy. While I can admire mini quilts, it's not something I would do.
The entire "make a bag or purse" trend has completely gone by me. If I buy a quilting magazine, I don't want/ need a bag pattern in it.
How about the rising prices of fabric: I am SO DONE with this higher cost trend!

What are your thoughts about social media? How is it going for you? What do you love or hate?Blogging is fine for me - I personally don't need twitter or facebook. They seem to be enormous time-eaters.

Did you have a favorite fabric collection or print in 2011?
There are far too many to list.

What do you predict for 2012 in the sewing industry?
More graphic prints and whimsical pictural fabrics. Additional solids from other fabric manufacturers.

Can you tell us what to expect from you in 2012? Any big projects or life-changing goals?
In general I will once more try to keep it balanced between work and play. I hope to finish more UFO's, maybe do another book/ tool review.

That's my take. Come and join the fun at SMS!

Thanks for getting me to think about sewing in 2011 / 2012,
Barb

2 comments:

  1. Great answers Barb! Got me to thinking. I'll have to go to SMS and put in my 2 cents. We are in blizzard mode here. It just keeps coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post, kiddo!! really enjoyed it! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - you made my day!